- Duration of Program
- 7 Weeks
- Dates of Program
- Contact the Organization
- both (group and independent)
- Age Restrictions
- 18 Years +
- Project Review
Our staff will pick you up at the airport in Guatemala City and take you to a staging location in the colonial city of Antigua for the night. You will have the chance to walk the cobblestone streets and explore the impressive ruins of 18th century churches. As sunset approaches over Volcan de Agua you will get yourself ready to explore Antiguas numerous restaurants and active nightlife. The next day we’ll drive up to our home-base in Xela. The first week will include an in-depth orientation covering local business etiquette, health and safety, cultural norms, classes in Spanish suited to your level. After a week of intensive orientation, you will work full-time at your internship for the next six weeks. Xela is very accessible. You can walk or take the local bus to work; you'll quickly get into the local rhythm. During that time, we’ll go on a couple of excursions, learn more about the issues facing Guatemala and it's people while building new friendships. The hospital where you will work specializes in treating Tuberculois and HIV AIDS.
- Major Responsibilities
The intern will assist a Physician as they make their rounds around the hospital. Physicians typically attend to over 200 patients per day.
- Cost/Program Fee
- USD 4795 for 7 weeks
- What program fee Includes
- Guaranteed Internship
- Meal plan
- Ground Transportation
- Organized excursions
- Intensive Spanish language
- On-site speakers
- Professional staff assistance
- Local pay-as-you-go cell phone
- Welcome Reception
- Regular meetings your Internship Supervisor
- Visa Assistance
- Official Internship Record documenting your placement
- Supplemental Travel Medical Insurance
- International airfare to and from the program city
- costs associated with obtaining a visa or immunizations (when needed)
- personal expenses.
Included in the program:
- Skills/ Qualifications
- Medical or Nursing
Desired Skills / Experience:
- Experience attending to patients is a plus
- Intermediate Spanish
- Arrangements for Room/Food
Accommodation and Meal:
- You, our staff and the other interns live together in Xela. Our home-base is safe and secure living arrangement where you’ll share a room with just one other person and have a bathroom and hot shower. In the mornings you can take the bus or walk to work.
- Unlike most of our other programs, lunch is also included in the meal plan Monday through Friday because it is custom for workers in Xela to return home for lunch. Saturday or Sunday will not include meals so as to allow you to explore local restaurants or travel on the weekends
- Application Process
- Applicants are required to submit an online application, including resume and statement of purpose, to be reviewed by Terra Intern Abroad. Once the application fee of $50 has been recieved, you will be scheduled an interview with an Enrollment Advisor to discuss the internship placements that may fit with your academic and professional background and objectives of your internship. Some host organizations may also require additional supporting documentation and/or an interview with the applicant. Students should have a strong academic record and not currently be on academic or disciplinary probation. Students and young professionals should be able to provide at least two academic or professional references.
- Upon completion of your interview, an internship placement offer is made. Once an internship offer is made, you will have 7 days to accept the offer and pay a $350 deposit. If a deposit is not recieved, we will open up the internship placement again to other applicants.
- Once a student or young professional is accepted and enrolled, you will be paired with the international internship program manager. The international internship program manager can answer all of your questions regarding your internship site as well as begin to orientate you with your destination country and what to expect day-to-day in the local culture. In addition you will be provided an international internship handbook that provides background information on your destination, pre-departure preparation, visa requirements, and insights into cultural norms and local customs, including social and business etiquette.
- We understand each international intern has a unique background and needs. That is why Terra Intern Abroad provides both an international internship supervisor as well as in-country staff so we can support all your planned, as well as unplanned, needs
- Any Missing Important Information
Safety & Support: Terra Intern Abroad is dedicated to providing the safest international internships possible to ensure all of our interns can get the most out of their international work experience. All of our international internships are provided through our in-country partners and supported by our dedicated local staff members. Our partners and staff undergo a thorough training on Terra Intern Abroad emergency policies and procedures. We are committed to the safety of our interns. Our entire international internship support system is designed around intern health and safety.
Terra Intern Abroad 's other programs in Guatemala
- Quetzaltenango : Hydro Therapy Internship Project in Guatemala
- Quetzaltenango : Guatemala - Language Therapist Internship Program
- Quetzaltenango : Clinical Lab Assistant Internship Program in Guatemala
- Quetzaltenango : Forest Conservation Internship Project in Guatemala
- Quetzaltenango : Medical Internship - Clinic Assistant in Guatemala
- Quetzaltenango : Assist in Counseling the HIV/AIDS Infected in Guatemala
- Quetzaltenango : Medical Internship Program for Orphans in Guatemala
- Quetzaltenango : Accounting Microcredit Internship Program in Guatemala
- Quetzaltenango : Media Internship Program in Guatemala
- Quetzaltenango : Assistant Internship Program for Medical Field in Guatemala
- Quetzaltenango : Promoting Education about Family Violence in Guatemala
- Quetzaltenango : Internship For Womens Empowerment in Gautemala
- Quetzaltenango : Assistant Psychologist Internship Program in Guatemala
- Quetzaltenango : Environmental Internship Program in Guatemala
- Quetzaltenango : Promote Organic Fair Trade Agriculture Internship in Guatemala
REQUEST MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THIS PROJECT/PROGRAM