- Ezulwini Valley
- Duration of Program
- 4 to 12 Weeks
- Dates of Program
- 1st Monday of Every Month
- Both (group and independent)
- Age Restrictions
- 18 to 65 Y
- Project Review
Volunteer teaching in Swaziland. Help teach children in schools where one of Africa's highest HIV AIDS and unemployment rates threatens the future prospects for children. As a volunteer you would assist local teachers with classes including English, math’s, science, geography and more. Education is one of the key needs of children and is their doorway to a bright future. A large proportion of children in Swaziland cannot afford to go to school and as a result of HIV AIDS by 2010 there will be close to 200 000 orphaned children in the Kingdom.
This project involves working with schools in Swaziland which offer education and the hope of a future to many young Swazis. The national curriculum is based on the English schooling system. The schools we work with are generally in central Swaziland in the Ezulwini-Lobamba semi-rural area. In these communities there are a number of schools many of which are overcrowded and under-resourced and are in need of support. Many of the schools have gardens where the children learn practical agricultural skills and grow food. There are a variety of other extra-mural activities including sports, helping to construct basic shelters, gardens, water systems and other physical structures needed at the schools.
- Major Responsibilities
As a volunteer on the teaching project you will be working with children from the surrounding Ezulwini communities. The total number of the children at the school varies from 700 to 800 pupils and each classroom has a maximum of 40 pupils.
You will be expected to work as a teaching assistance helping the teacher where ever possible especially with Math’s, English and science subjects. You can bring your own ideas such as Crafts if you working with the lower grades and drama for the upper grades.
- Cost/Program Fee
- USD 2,290 (4 Weeks) and USD 3,972 (12 Weeks)
- What program fee Includes
- All accommodation throughout your programme
- All meals
- Orientation upon arrival
- Transfer to and from the airport in Swaziland
- Full support and daily guidance from the project coordinators
- Project material such as teaching aids, sport equipment and craft materials as required
- Backup support from All Out Africa’s head office and administrative staff
- Reimbursement of your bus fares.
- ALL OUT T-shirt
- Personal travel insurance for the duration of your placement
- All flights
- All items of a personal nature.
- Telephhone, internet, extra food and drinks, weekend activities
- Any excursions over and above your planned itinerary
What is Included?
What's not Included?
- Skills/ Qualifications
You don’t have to be a teacher to take part in and enjoy our Teaching Project. All you need is to be motivated and sensitive and we will help you settle in to a role that will be beneficial to the children you work with, while gaining valuable skills yourself.
- Arrangements for Room/Food
Our accommodation between excursions is at the Lidwala Backpacker Lodge in the Ezulwini Valley. The All Out Africa office is situated here as well. It is conveniently located on the main Ezulwini road less than 2km from most of the area’s main facilities and attractions, such as craft markets, shopping centres, hotels, and restaurants. Volunteers on social projects stay here so conservation volunteers intermingle with them when not in the field.
In the field, volunteers and staff camp at Hlane Royal National Park in dome tents with foam mattresses and pillows, all provided. You will need to bring a sleeping bag of appropriate warmth for the season. Flush toilets and hot showers are on-site, however, there is no electricity. Lanterns are provided in the bathrooms and at the All Out Africa campsite. A headlight or torch is still very useful to bring. The camp kitchen consists of a gas powered stove, small gas powered refrigerator, pots, pans, and cutlery. Generally breakfast is cereals and toast, lunch is sandwiches and dinner is a cooked meal. Cooking is shared between volunteers and staff on a rotational basis.
- Application Process
Application process online. To apply please click on the link http://www.alloutafrica.com/volunteers/enquiry.php
- Any Missing Important Information
Visa: 30 days tourist visa on entry – 60 day extension possible in-country.
All Out Africa 's other programs in Swaziland
- Kruger National Park: Conservation of Wildlife Volunteer Projects in Swaziland
- Ezulwini Valley : Care for Orphaned Children Volunteer Project in Swaziland
- Ezulwini Valley: Coach Sports to Disadvantaged Children Volunteer Project in Swaziland
- Ezulwini Valley : Teach in Schools to the Underprivileged Children in Swaziland
- Ezulwini Valley: Community Building for the Needy Families Volunteer Project in Swaziland
REQUEST MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THIS PROJECT/PROGRAM