- South Africa
- Cape Town
- Duration of Program
- 4-12 Weeks
- Dates of Program
- Throughout the Year
- Both (group and independent)
- Age Restrictions
- 18 Years+
- Project Review
Home of Hope is a very special place providing safety and care for babies and young children until they can be placed in a suitable new home. This is an especially rewarding project where volunteers are able to see the positive difference their caring contribution makes to the lives of some very special babies and young children. The children come from varying backgrounds, some abandoned in dustbins, others abused, neglected, raped or infected with HIV. Volunteers are so important to this project and will play a real part in caring for these children.
- Major Responsibilities
- Helping out at a local township creche assisting with play activities for 1 - 6 year olds
- Supporting the older children who have not been fostered or adopted with their after school homework
- Visits to the library and internet research
- Opportunities to help with food distribution
- Community and hospital visits etc
- Cost/Program Fee
- USD 870 (2 Weeks) and USD 1,970 (12 Weeks)
- What program fee Includes
- Airport transfers on arrival and departure and daily transfers to and from the placement
- All accommodation including self service breakfast
- Orientation and introduction to the project together with "on-the-job" educational activities and 24 hour support from volunteer co-coordinator and local staff
- A contribution to the project itself
- Advice and support from the local staff including help for arranging off-duty visits, tours and adventure activities
- Travel insurance (to include cover for repatriation)
- Return flights to nearest International Airport
- Personal items eg clothes, travel goods
- Use of internet (email) and telephone
- Shopping budget for lunch and dinner
- Visas and any trips undertaken other than in the planned programme
- Any wine, beer and spirits
Program Fee Includes:
Program Fee Excludes:
- Skills/ Qualifications
No specific skills or qualification are required, except the volunteer needs to be friendly, open, flexible and should have good communication skills.
- Arrangements for Room/Food
Food and Accommodation:
- Separate male and female dormitory accommodation - with mattresses, bedding and linen provided.
- Full kitchen facilities - oven, fridges, microwave, toaster, kettle and everything needed for preparing great food!
- A large comfortable lounge with plenty of chairs and settees, satellite TV and DVD.
- A telephone for incoming calls.
- Shower and toilet facilities.
- A drop-off and collect laundry service operates every Tuesday - at a minimal cost.
- Extra large storage cupboards are available for luggage. personal items, groceries etc.
- Premises will be cleaned Monday through to Friday every week.
- A private garden for entertainment/relaxation complete with a large pool, sunbeds, breakfast tables and a built in braai (bbq).
- The house is a Wi-Fi Hotspot and a computer is available for volunteers to access the internet. A Hotspot account can be set up in advance – enabling volunteers to purchase internet credits at a cost of 45 cents per megabyte using a credit card (minimum R30 purchase). This is less expensive and more convenient than using an internet cafe.
- The volunteer house is safe and secure with electrical fencing and a magnetic lock on the entrance gate. Volunteers will be issued with a coded magnetic key to allow them to come and go 24 hours a day.
- A full time volunteer co-ordinator (Monday – Friday 8.00 am – 5.00 pm) is available to assist with any enquiries or advice and also for emergencies during evenings, weekends and Public Holidays.
- Self-service breakfasts are available at the volunteer house. A good selection of cereals, yoghurts, milk, bread, margarine, tea, coffee and sugar is provided. All other meals are self-catering. Good shopping facilities are located close by for food and personal needs, along with a great range of restaurants, bars and cafes.
- Application Process
For the application process,please contact the organization at:firstname.lastname@example.org
- Any Missing Important Information
Does Amanzi Travel offer travel insurance: Yes, Amanzi Travel has teamed up with Endsleigh Insurance to offer its UK customers comprehensive travel insurance at competitive prices. We can certainly recommend insurers for our non-UK customers though regretfully we cannot arrange the insurance for you eg IMG Global.
Amanzi Travel 's other programs in South Africa
- Parys: Cheetah Breeding and Reintroduction Centre Project
- Cape Town: Cape Town Medical and Community Development Project
- Mfuleni: Local Children's Home for Abandoned or Orphaned Children Project
- Hoedspruit: South African Horse Rehabilitation Centre Project
- Eastern Cape: Big 5 Game Reserve Wildlife Conservation Project
- Cape Town: Cape Town Teaching and Community Development Project
- St. Lucia: Orphan Day Care for Children of HIV/AIDS Affected Parents Project
- Contact the Organization: Families Community Outreach Program
- St. Lucia: Photography and Wildlife Conservation Project
- Masiphumelele: Help with Sports Coaching at the Primary School in Masiphumelele Program
- Kwazulu Natal: English Reading Club Project
- Gansbaai: Research About Great White Shark Project
- Eastern Cape: Game Reserved and Big Cat Conservation Project in South Africa
- Various Locations: Ezwenalisha Orphanage Project
- Cape Town: Under-Privileged African School Children Project