- Duration of Program
- 2-8 Weeks
- Dates of Program
- Flexible Dates
- Both (group and independent)
- Age Restrictions
- 18 Years+
- Project Review
The Desert Elephant project takes volunteers out to the north west region of the Namib Desert, Damaraland, one of the most scenic wilderness areas of Namibia which runs parallel to the Skeleton Coast National Park and is home to a small population of desert elephants. The project started in 2001 in response to increased competition between the desert elephants and the human inhabitants of the region for the natural resources of water and grazing. A depletion in the natural water table and increased human use has led to less water being available for the elephants. Water points have been created close to river beds and as farms are generally located close to these water sources, much damage has been done to buildings, livestock and even humans by the elephants in their search for fresh water. Volunteers help to address the conflict between these rural communities and the desert elephant with solutions that allow them to coexist peacefully. The long term welfare of these fantastic animals is addressed through safeguarding farmers water supplies, building new water points for the elephants, educating the local community and valuable elephant herd research. Volunteers will spend their time getting close to nature in stunning surroundings camping out under the stars. A very popular project appealing to volunteers wanting a truly wilderness adventure - and early booking is recommended.
- Major Responsibilities
- Help to address the conflict between these rural communities and the desert elephant with solutions that allow them to coexist peacefully
- Safeguarding farmers water supplies
- Building new water points for the elephants
- Educating the local community and valuable elephant herd research
- Cost/Program Fee
- USD 640 (2 Week) and USD 2,115 (8 Weeks)
- What program fee Includes
- Transport from Swakopmund onwards or Airport transfer from Walvis Bay
- Orientation and introduction to the project. "On-the-job" educational activities and 24 hour support from volunteer coordinator and local staf
- Food and accommodation during the project
- A contribution to the project itself including: building materials, fuel, vehicle costs etc
- Travel Insurance (to include cover for repatriation)
- Personal items eg clothes, travel goods
- Return flights to nearest International Airport
- Transfer from Windhoek to Swakopmund if needed. Weekend accommodation in Swakopmund if needed. Soft drinks and alcohol.
- Visas and any trips/activities undertaken other than in the planned expedition
Program Fee Includes:
Program Fee Excludes:
- Skills/ Qualifications
No specific skills or qualification are required, except the volunteer needs to be friendly, open, flexible and should have good communication skills.
- Arrangements for Room/Food
Accommodation: Mobile base camps are set up at each project site, with every effort made to make these as comfortable as possible. Accommodation will be in two man tents - or just under the stars.
Food: All cooking is done over an open fire, everybody sharing camp duties. Meals are prepared by volunteers on a rotational basis and eaten around the campfire together. Three balanced meals a day are provided with adequate vegetarian options.
- Application Process
For the application process,please contact the organization at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Any Missing Important Information
Does Amanzi Travel offer travel insurance: Yes, Amanzi Travel has teamed up with Endsleigh Insurance to offer its UK customers comprehensive travel insurance at competitive prices. We can certainly recommend insurers for our non-UK customers though regretfully we cannot arrange the insurance for you eg IMG Global.
Amanzi Travel 's other programs in Namibia
- Windhoek: Rare and Exciting Opportunity to Care for Orphaned and Injured African wildlife
- Gobabis: Noahs Ark Wildlife Sanctury Project
- Okonjima : Nambia Big Cat Conservation and Rehabilitation Program
- Damaraland: The Desert Elephant Conservation Project
- Windhoek: African Wilderness Conservation Program
- Nambrand: Cheetah and Leopard Conservation Program
- Windhoek: Work and Participate in the Conservation of African Wildlife Project
- Gobabis: Offering Primary Healthcare to the Local Community Program
- Gobabis: Volunteer in World Renowned Wildlife Sanctuary