- Duration of Program
- 3 to 12 Weeks
- Dates of Program
- Contact the Organization
- Both (group and independent)
- Age Restrictions
- 18 Years +
- Project Review
Schools in Togo generally suffer from a shortage of teachers and huge classes, very often with more than 60 students.Volunteers at public schools in Atakpamé assist teachers during classes, take care of the children and help them with their homework and free time activities, sports and play.Since French is the official language volunteers need a good knowledge of French for teaching projects. Volunteers with a very good knowledge of French can also give lessons in math’s, geography, reading and writing.The children are 6 to 12 years of age.Volunteers with a college diploma may work at a high school and teach students age 12 – 23 yrs.During summer break (July/August) our partner organization runs a four-week summer camp for orphans or children from poor families, where you can help occupy the children. There are also summer school programs in July and August where you can assist the teaching.
- Major Responsibilities
Volunteers assist teachers during classes, take care of the children and help them with their homework and free time activities, sports and play.
- Cost/Program Fee
- Contact the Organization
- What program fee Includes
- Airport pick-up at Lomé Airport and transportation to Atakpamé, Sokodé or Kara.
- Accommodation with carefully chosen, friendly host family (single room, shared bathroom and toilet) or at project site.
- 3 local meals a day, 7 days a week.
- French lessons, 10 hours a week in the afternoons during volunteer work period.
- Two weeks regional language lessons, 5 hours per week, during volunteer work. If you do not need to take French lessons you follow 10 hrs. per week regional language lessons.
- Supervision and support by local staff.
- Pre-departure booklet in English.
- Visa fees.
- Fees for vaccination.
- Pocket money.
- Skills/ Qualifications
Since French is the official language volunteers need a good knowledge of French for teaching projects. Volunteers with a very good knowledge of French can also give lessons in math’s, geography, reading and writing.
- Arrangements for Room/Food
Accommodation: Most projects are in or around the city of Atakpamé where our partner organization is located. In most cases you will be accommodated with a friendly and carefully chosen Togolese family.You will have your own bedroom and share bathroom/showers and toilets (Togolese style mainly). Orphanage projects are residential projects,i.e. you have your room in the project. Normally, you will also get your own room here but in some cases you are supposed to share a room with another volunteer.
Food: Your host family will provide 3 local meals a day, 7 days a week.
- Application Process
Enrollment procedure: You enrol by e-mailing the enrolment form to firstname.lastname@example.org.Please mark your work priorities on the enrolment form.The local coordinator will do his best to respect your first priority, but we cannot guarantee that you will get your wish fulfilled. Volunteers should be open to other possibilities in case some projects are not available.
- Any Missing Important Information
Cancellation: If you cancel your application before receiving information about your host family you will be able to have your deposit refunded less a deduction of 200 € for administration expenses.If your application is cancelled after receiving the address of your host family, your deposit will not be refunded whilst the balance will be refunded in full. Once the language course has commenced, no refunds will be made.
EXIS Aps 's other programs in Togo
- Various Locations: Volunteer in Teaching Program in Togo
- Various Location: Work in Kindergartens of Togo
- Sokodé: Volunteer Vivenda Deaf School,Togo
- Atakpamé : Volunteers at hospitals in Atakpamé
- Atakpamé : Assist the Orphanage Campaign in Togo
- Atakpamé : Assist the Teachers in Teaching Program in Togo
- Atakpamé : Work in Kindergartens of Atakpamé
- Various Locations: Work in an Orphanage in Togo
- Various Location: Volunteer in Vivenda Deaf School of Togo
- Various Locations: Volunteer in a Hospital of Togo
REQUEST MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THIS PROJECT/PROGRAM