- Various Locations
- Duration of Program
- Minimum Duration 4 weeks
- Dates of Program
- Flexible Dates
- Both (group and independent)
- Age Restrictions
- 18+ Years
- Project Review
The National Museum requires a cataloguer to maintain accurate records of library exhibits using e–digitization. The volunteer will help develop and maintain an integrated bibliographic database of all exhibits held at the museum while offering advice on cataloguing and bibliographic content.
- Major Responsibilities
- Cataloguing, classifying and shelving
- Processing new materials received according to established procedures or suggest alternate procedures
- Manning the helpdesk and handling queries with regard to identifying exhibits
- Creating an exhibit record, assigning cutter and printing spine label for each physical item
- Leading the way in researching new techniques and technologies for cataloguing, sharing findings with colleagues, and making recommendations for implementation in department processes as appropriate.
Major job responsibilities of volunteers:
- Cost/Program Fee
- £ 715 for 4 weeks, £92 per week thereafter
- What program fee Includes
- Accommodation and a fully furnished kitchen
- Welcome pack
- In-country introduction to life in Ghana.
- Airport pick-up & drop-off
- Live-in Ikando staff support
- 24/7 Emergency support.
- Flights & Visa
- Vaccinations (please speak to your local doctor)
- Insurance, both Medical and Travel (required)
- Donation (as Constructs is a profit making organisation).
What’s included in the project fees?
What’s not included?
- Skills/ Qualifications
Skills or Qualifications:
- You must be at least 18 years of age upon application.
- The volunteer should have a keen interest and relevant background in museum cataloguing.
- The volunteer should have reasonable experience in cataloguing methods and practices, including modern methods.
- Must have good oral and written communication skills and demonstrate good time management skills.
- You will need to be flexible and tolerant, show initiative, enthusiasm and patience to face the many hurdles and challenges that you will encounter.
- Arrangements for Room/Food
The volunteer will be housed in our accommodation in the centre of town, with it possible to walk from the accommodation to nearby shops, communication centres, bars and restaurants. The spacious accommodation with a fully furnished kitchen is well maintained and has live-in staff to ensure you are well looked after. The surrounding garden and balconies overlooking Accra are perfect for chill out sessions with fellow volunteer housemates.
Food is not included in our placements as in our experience volunteers prefer to cater for themselves. We have a fully furnished kitchen and our staff will show you where you can do your shopping. Western-style supermarkets and the bustling markets can be found nearby. A weekly vegetable & fruit shop can cost as little at $10, however shopping at the western-style supermarkets can be quite dear as most goods are imported.
- Application Process
The Application Process
- The Application Form - To apply for one of our positions please complete our online application form. To save us and more importantly our already overstretched partner organisations time, please only complete this form if you are serious about applying.
- The Additional Info Form - As soon as we receive approval for your placement from the partner organisation we will send you an additional form to complete. This form requests information on your emergency contact details, your health background and other important information. Please email this form back to us as soon as possible.
- Secure your Placement - Once we receive your additional information form back we will invoice you for your placement. Your deposit will be due within a week of the date of the invoice. If you are applying less than 60 days before the start of your placement, you will be invoiced for the whole amount. Please be aware that your placement is not secured until you have received confirmation from us of receipt of either the deposit or full payment. Once you have secured your placement you can start booking flights. We recommend you purchase insurance as soon as you secure your placement.
- Speak to your In-Country Coordinator - We will email you a week before your remainder is due. As soon as we receive your remainder we will introduce you to your In-Country Coordinator who will help you prepare for your trip and will ensure that an Ikando member of staff is at the airport to meet you.
- Any Missing Important Information
- A completed application form - required for application.
- A personal or professional reference given by an employer, teacher, lawyer or doctor. This reference must include detail of the context in which the referee knows you and stating that he/she knows of no reason why you should not volunteer. The referee should also provide their contact details in order that Ikando can contact them prior to your departure to confirm the reference given. This reference should be emailed by the referee to info [at] ikando.org. References cannot be family memebers
- A copy by email to info [at] ikando.org of your travel (including medical) insurance certificates.
- Information on your travel arrangements (flight number, airline, arrival and departure time and dates). We always recommend volunteers who book online to email us their booking.
- A copy of the photo page of your passport to be emailed to info [at] ikando.org.
- All Documentation must be sent to us at least two weeks before arrival.
Ikando 's other programs in Ghana
- Various Locations : Volunteer in Micro-Finance in Ghana
- Various Locations: Volunteer as Advertising Agent in Ghana
- Various Locations: Photographers Volunteer in Ghana
- Various Locations: Volunteer as Carpenter in Ghana
- Various Locations: Volunteer as Marketing and Business Development Officer in Ghana
- Various Locations: Work as Business Development Coordinator in Ghana
- Various Locations: Volunteer as Office Administrator with Constructs LLC in Ghana
- Various Locations: Work in State School for the Deaf in Ghana
- Various Locations : Volunteer as Youth Enterprises and Development Officer in Ghana
- Various Locations: Intern to Assist with Legal Documentation in Ghana
- Various Locations : Volunteer as Conservation Officer in Ghana
- Various Locations: Playtime Coordinator Intern Work at Autism Awareness Care and Training Centre
- Various Locations: Web Designer Volunteer in Ghana
- Various Locations: Waste Management Specialist needed in Ghana
- Various Locations: Micro Finance Business Advisor and Development Practitioner Internship Program
Ikando in Other Countries
REQUEST MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THIS PROJECT/PROGRAM