- Phnom Penh,Cambodia
- Duration of Program
- 2 weeks to 1 month
- Dates of Program
- Flexible Dates Available
- Both (group and independent)
- Age Restrictions
- 18 Years &
- Project Review
All Medicine volunteers in Cambodia taking part in one of our overseas voluntary work placements must have completed at least one year of medical-related studies or training by the time they join this project, or at least three years of work at the pediatric hospital or private clinic. Each placement is then tailored to your level of experience and interests. We will ask you which departments you would like to specialize in out of the following options: General Medicine, Gynaecology/Maternity, Infectious Diseases, ENT, Obstetrics, Psychiatric ward, Neurology, Pneumology, Oncology, Urology, ICU, Ophtalmology, Stomatology, Emergency (requires at least 6 years medical training) and Surgery (requires at least 3 years medical training).
The hospital staff request that you spend a minimum of two weeks in each department. Your supervisor at the hospital, the Director General, will then assign you to work with the specialist doctors within the different departments. We will do our best to place you in your preferred departments, but we can not guarantee all departments will be available all of the time.
Your role at the hospital will usually start by being observational and you will shadow the local staff. If you show enthusiasm and initiative and develop a good relationship with the medical staff, you may find that you gain enough trust to be given more to do. As with any job – and especially in the field of medicine - you must prove yourself to be trustworthy before you are given responsibilities. Facilities within the hospital are basic and treatments are sometimes not of the standard we would expect in the West. You should be prepared to see some shocking cases and try not to get emotionally involved with the patients. Normal working hours are from Monday to Friday from 8am to 12pm. Many of the doctors do not work in the afternoons however it is sometimes possible to arrange to return to the hospital from 2pm to 5pm to help the nurses or do extra work with the patients. Some volunteers have even arranged to work the occasional night shift.
- Major Responsibilities
- Being involved in the day-to-day work of hospitals and clinics
- Observing or directly assisting local staff
- Working with a doctor on his rounds in a big city hospital
- Help out in simple but practical ways
Major Job Responsibilities:
- Cost/Program Fee
- R23,945(1 Month) & R35,345(3 Months),Addditional R8,445 for each additional month
- What program fee Includes
- Food and accommodation
- Transfers to and from the airport
- Full travel insurance
- Medical insurance
- Support and 24 hour back-up from both our local and UK staff
- Passport / Visa (if required from your country)
- Return transportation
- Any Personal expenses
- Skills/ Qualifications
Skills & Qualification: All Medicine volunteers in Cambodia taking part in one of our overseas voluntary work placements must have completed at least one year of medical-related studies or training by the time they join this project, or at least three years of work at the pediatric hospital or private clinic. All volunteers should, be active, be prepared for working in the specified project fulfilling the responsibilities & French language skills will be helpful for the volunteers.
- Arrangements for Room/Food
Food: We will ensure you are provided with 3 square meals a day.
Accommodation: Local host-families are carefully selected because they are friendly, welcoming and will go out of their way to look after our volunteers. Where we can't provide host families we place our volunteers together in secure accomodation.
- Application Process
Application Process: You can apply through www.projects-abroad.org.za
- Any Missing Important Information
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis, so there is no firm deadline for applications. Some countries and projects require at least three months to process an application, arrange for visas, and advise you properly on how to prepare. Other countries can be processed in as little as three weeks. Whenever you are thinking of traveling, we encourage you to apply as early as possible. Having more time to prepare makes it easier for you to fundraise, and for us to advise you on preparations. It also makes more options available for tailoring a program to your individual interests and preference.
Projects Abroad Human Rights Office 's other programs in Cambodia
- Island of Koh Rong Samleom & Coastal town of Sihanoukville : Volunteer Conservation & Environment Projects in Cambodia
- Phnom Penh, Combodia : Opportunity for Volunteers to Join Journalism Project in Cambodia
- Various locations of Cambodia : Care Project with Orphans in Cambodia for Volunteers
- Phnom Penh,Cambodia : Volunteers to Teach English to the Orphans in Cambodia
- Phnom Penh,Cambodia : Volunteering in Cambodia on Medicine Projects
- Cambodia : Join Community Volunteering & Khmer Cultural Classes in Cambodia
- Phnom Penh, Cambodia : Help Most Neglected Children in Cambodia Improve their Lives
- Phnom Penh : Human Rights Work Experience opportunities for Volunteers in Cambodia
- Phnom Penh, Cambodia : Volunteer Abroad on an Occupational Therapy Project
- Various locations in Cambodia: Volunteer Care-Work with Children in Cambodia
- Cambodia. : Physiotherapy Volunteer Opportunity in Cambodia
REQUEST MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THIS PROJECT/PROGRAM