- Costa Rica
- All Over Costa Rica
- Duration of Program
- 1 to 12 Weeks
- Dates of Program
- 2nd and 4th Mondays of each Month
- Both (group and independent)
- Age Restrictions
- 18 Years +
- Project Review
Costa Rica is rich in biodiversity and lush rainforests abound all over the country. The environment is however very fragile in Costa Rica and there aren’t enough trained manpower to teach locals the benefits of environmental conservation and monitor the environmental degradation. RCDP has teamed up local environmentalists and organizations and we’re trying to help Costa Rica preserve the forest. Join our conservation project now and be part of this effort to save rainforests and other wonderful eco-systems. While volunteering, you can maintain trails in the forest, promote new eco-tourism related projects, or work in Carara National Park, where you can observe Red Macaws’ nesting and other abundant small mammals.
- Major Responsibilities
As a volunteer you will be helping to minimize the adverse effects of traditional tourism on the natural environment and enhance local culture and people. You’ll maintain and upgrade the facilities of the project, construct trails, help clean the areas and assist the tourist. In Carara National Park, which is 2 hours away from San Jose, you’ll construct and clean the trials, be involved in guided tours, patrol and park, put up signs for the trails and do many other task.
- Cost/Program Fee
- USD 250 (1 Week ) and USD 1,850 ( 12 Weeks )
- What program fee Includes
- Airport receive
- First night of hotel stay
- Transfer to hostel or host family
- Accommodations and food (3 meals a day with a local family)
- Transport to project (one way)
- Support from local staffs
- Orientation upon arrival
- Customized Volunteer placement
- Emergency support
- Regular visit (1-2 week interval) and supervision of local staffs
- Airfare, Visa and Visa extension fee
- Daily transportation (between project and host family – If required)
- Return/transfer to airport, airport taxes
- Any personal expenses
- Mineral water and soft drinks
- Gifts to project staffs and host family
- Laundry, Telephone, Immunization
What does program fee covers?
What program fee does not cover?
- Skills/ Qualifications
Volunteers with knowledge of basic Spanish is preferred for the environmental project. You should also be reliable, flexible, and patient as working condition and the mentality of the people will be very different from what you’re used to back home. You should also be of sound help as work can sometimes get physically demanding.
- Arrangements for Room/Food
RCDP will provide from your every need during the project. During the project, you will stay with either a host family or in a lodge. You will be provided with a separate room but you will have to share bathroom facilities. We have chosen our host family carefully and they will provide with a safe and secure location for you to stay. They will have experience of hosting foreign volunteers before and at least one member of the host family will be able to communicate with you in English. Staying with a host family is a wonderful way to learn about the lifestyle and culture of Costa Rica. You will be served 3 locals meals by the host family. The meals will be prepared hygienically. Our staff will also visit you regularly to check your progress and see if you’re satisfied with the project or not. So you can rest assure that you will be completed looked after while you volunteer in orphanage work project in Costa Rica.
- Application Process
- Step One: Select the country and the program you wish to volunteer. Fill out our online application form and submit it with a refundable application fee of $50 ($95 for Nepal). This application fee is part of total registration fee of $219. We need the application fee to make sure that application is genuine. Your application fee is refundable (please read - Refund Policy).
- Step Two: Once we received an application fee of $50 ($95 for Nepal), we will send you a confirmation email within 48 hours (2 working days). We will also immediately forward your application to country coordinator for processing. Our country coordinator will carefully read your application, make arrangement for room/food and other logistic supports, and send placement details within 2-4 weeks.
- Step Three: We will now send you the placement sheet and acceptance letter and we will request you to pay the remaining fee of $169. Once you make the final payment, you can start preparing for the trip by applying for visa, booking your flights and getting the required vaccination. After your flight details have been confirmed, please forward us the details. The details are required by our country coordinator to receive you in the airport when you arrive in the host country. From the next day, your meaningful volunteer experience starts.
There are two options available to those applying for volunteer positions in the Uganda programs:
Apply online (http://rcdpinternationalvolunteer.org/apply.php)
Download the application form. http://rcdpinternationalvolunteer.org/files/Application.pdf
- Any Missing Important Information
- In Atenas, drinking water is safe. However, in rural areas, drink only bottled, boiled water or carbonated drinks of cans and bottles. In the beaches, tap water is not considered clean.
- Buy bottled water from proper outlets. Be wary of fake bottled water which are available everywhere. Always make sure the seal is not broken and the cap not tampered.
- Avoid eating food from road-side stalls. Eat unpeeled fruits and avoid fresh salads, especially in small hotels. If you are forced to eat food at some place that you have doubts about, make sure the food is served hot.
- Avoid eating food from road side stalls/vendors. Don't eat unpeeled fruits or fruits that have already been cut by unknown handlers on the street. If you are forced to eat food at a place that you have doubts about, make sure the food is served hot and well cooked.
- If you require any prescription drugs, bring enough for the duration of your stay in Costa Rica. They will need to be carried in their original prescription bottle and the prescription must be in your name.
- Please carry a small health kit which should include medicines to cure upset stomachs, some antiseptic cream, hydration powder, deer mosquito repellant, sun block, band aids, etc.
General Health Tips for Volunteer in Costa Rica
RCDP International Volunteer 's other programs in Costa Rica
- Northern Costa Rica : Volunteer in a Zoo in Costa Rica
- Throughout Costa Rica : Volunteer to Conserve Turtles in Costa Rica
- All Over Costa Rica : Eco Tourism Volunteer in Costa Rica
- All Over Costa Rica : Health Service to the Poor in Costa Ricans
- All Over Costa Rica : Volunteer Construction Work in Costa Rica
- All Over Costa Rica : Volunteer to Teach English in Costa Rica with RCDP International
- All Over Costa Rica : Volunteer for Orphanage in Costa Rica with RCDP International
REQUEST MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THIS PROJECT/PROGRAM