- Accra, Ghana
- Duration of Program
- 4 Weeks to12 Weeks
- Dates of Program
- 09 Jan, 10 Apr, 10 Jul, 09 Oct,2010
- Both (group and independent)
- Age Restrictions
- 18 Years +
- Project Review
The problems in Ghana are often reflected in patients’ conditions. Common conditions include strokes due to hypertension, injuries brought about by car accidents and a high incident rate of crush injuries to the hand and tendons caused by grinding and cutting machinery people use at work. Many of these injuries have crippling consequences as there is often no compensation or income afterwards. Many do not even have treatment as they cannot afford the £1 fee per session. Another common condition is facial palsy from Otitis Media which is treated with electrical stimulation. The clinic does posses some equipment such as a hydrotherapy pool, but this is not sufficient to cope with the high demand from the local community.
This programme needs physiotherapists volunteers with experience or are qualified to second year degree standard. The two main areas needing assistance are Sports Institutions and Community Clinics.You will also have the opportunity to work with staff to teach young physiotherapy students in Ghana. You will be able to share ideas and your knowledge with the local teachers to increase their understanding from your western training.
As a qualified or experienced physiotherapist volunteer, you can really make a difference to this area of medical care that is often overlooked, assisting in the hands-on work that is so often unavailable to injured locals and athletes. You will need to be self-motivated and prepared for working in an environment with long and sometimes frustrating days but the work is hugely rewarding and the experience and understanding of working in a developing country you will gain is invaluable.As a sports physiotherapist volunteers will work together with the Ghana Football Association (GFA). The GBA has been struggling to get by on a small budget and so it is common for Ghana’s top players to miss out on the treatment of injuries they need. Volunteers will have the opportunity to work full-time as a physiotherapist in one of the leading Premier League football clubs. You will be able to use your procedures and treatment methods for the teams where there is a distinct lack of training and knowledge.This programme will give you the chance to broaden your experience in physiotherapy working in both sports institutions and clinics and is a great way to start or enhance a career in the area.
- Major Responsibilities
- Assist in Sports Institutions and Community Clinics
- Teach young physiotherapy students in Ghana
- Share ideas and your knowledge with the local teachers to increase their understanding from your training
- Assisting in the hands-on work that is so often unavailable to injured locals and athletes
Major Job Responsibilities:
- Cost/Program Fee
- USD 1,759 (4 Weeks) to USD 3,519 (12 Weeks)
- What program fee Includes
- Airport transfers to and from Accra Airport upon your arrival and departure
- Orientation programme
- Full board and lodging, including breakfast, lunch and dinner each day
- Assistance in your projects by staff and volunteer coordinators
- Full support from your coordinator throughout your time on your Ghana placement
- All transport by air to Ghana
- Personal travel insurance for the duration of your placement which must include cover for repatriation
- Soft drinks, wines and spirits
- All items of a personal nature, such as curios, gifts, clothing
- Email/Internet and telephone calls
- All visas for border crossings
- Transport between accommodation and placement each day
- Any excursions over and above your planned itinerary in Ghana
Project Cost Includes:
Project Cost Excludes :
- Skills/ Qualifications
Skills & Qualification: Volunteers need experience in physiotherapy or are qualified to second year degree standard to take part in this in physiotherapy project. Volunteers need to be self-motivated and prepared for working in an environment with long and sometimes frustrating days.
- Arrangements for Room/Food
Food: Volunteers will be provided three meals a day.
Accommodation: Volunteers will be accommodated in communal houses. Communal houses are basic but comfortable, with dormitory style rooms (4-8 people per room), shared toilets & showers.
- Application Process
Application Process: For the application process pleace contact the following no.
Worldwide: +44 1892 701884
- Any Missing Important Information
Throughout your stay in Ghana, you will have the support and guidance of the project leaders and team. They will provide you with competent field support and assistance and help you with any questions, or support, you may need during your stay. In addition, we will provide you with a 24 hour emergency contact number before you depart, so that you can contact our UK staff at any time should you need to.
Real Gap Experience 's other programs in Ghana
- Accra, Ghana: Help Developing Communities in Ghana through Medical Project
- Accra: Journalism And Media Internship Placement Programs In Accra, Ghana
- Greater Accra Region, Ghana : Teach English to Develop Fluency & Conversational Confidence of Students in Ghana
- Accra: Medical Elective In Internships Programs At Accra, Ghana
- Accra,Ghana : Volunteer in Ghana to Promote & Coach Football
- Rural villages of Ghana : Ghana Community Volunteer Program to Help Poor & Needy People
- Accra Ghana : Experience Ghana Journalism & Media Project as Volunteer
- Greater Accra Region, Ghana : Volunteer in Ghana on Orphan Care Project
- Accra, Ghana : Volunteer in Ghana Providing Physiotherapy Services in Football Association
REQUEST MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THIS PROJECT/PROGRAM