- Various Locations
- Duration of Program
- 2-12 Weeks
- Dates of Program
- Monday of each Week
- Both (group and independent)
- Age Restrictions
- 18+ Years
- Project Review
Every year in Nepal, hundreds of children leave their poor villages and travel to cities in search of work. These children are deprived of many opportunities necessary for their development. After coming to cities, most of them work as child laborers in restaurants, hotels, and factories. Through education and compassion children are empowered to challenge a life of further poverty and exploitation.
- Major Responsibilities
Volunteers focus on educational training which consists primarily of English language classes. Besides teaching, the orphanages operate several creative programs. Volunteers' active participation in programs such as health education, games, drawing and painting is encouraged. With such a variety, the orphanage encourages volunteers to explore a meaningful approach to service.
- Cost/Program Fee
- US $1,090 (2 Weeks) and US $2,290 ( 12 Weeks)
- What program fee Includes
- Home stay accommodations
- 3 meals per day
- On-site orientation
- Travel medical insurance
- Airport pick-up and drop-off
- Pre-departure handbook and pre-trip guidance
- English speaking representative in-country for your assistance
- Volunteer placement
- 24/7 emergency phone support
- Round-trip transportation to Nepal
- Visa expenses
- Optional trips and excursions
- Personal expenses
- Daily transportation
- Skills/ Qualifications
All applicants should have: a desire to help the people of Nepal, flexibility, self-motivation, openness to a new culture and a willingness to learn.
- Arrangements for Room/Food
Housing varies based on the placement location. During the volunteering stage of the placement, housing typically consists of a home stay with a local host family. This is a great opportunity for volunteers to learn experientially about Nepali culture and family life. Volunteers can expect pleasant yet modest accommodations. Some placements include residential accommodations, which means the volunteer lives at the project site.
Food is provided as part of all volunteer placements. Traditional Nepalese food is served to volunteers three times a day.
- Application Process
Application Process: Click on the link to apply.
- Any Missing Important Information
- Can you camp?
- Can you live without modern plumbing, hot water and electricity?
- Are you aware that most volunteers experience illness at some point during their stay?
- Are you open enough to accept and respect a culture no matter how different it is from your first culture?
- Are you comfortable with yourself? At times you may feel isolated, particularly when you arrive in a village knowing no one.
- Are you hungry to learn? You'll learn a new language, a new culture, a new way of life.
- Can you handle culture shock? The moment you step off the plane you will be in a world where very little is familiar.
- Are you flexible? Developing countries, and Nepal in particular, are not as obsessed with time as the US or Europe. Often, schedules are ignored or appointments begin later than arranged. You may also encounter corruption in government officials and local administrators.
- If you decide to volunteer in Nepal, you are opening the door to the possibility for a personally enriching and life-changing experience.
Volunteering isn't for everyone. Volunteering in Nepal requires flexibility and patience. Individuals should be self-starters, who genuinely respect the Nepali people and their culture. Volunteers go to Nepal to share their time and energy with the people, to experience the Nepali culture first hand, and to grow as citizens of the planet.
Before you apply, please consider the following:
Programs generally start on Monday of each week. Participants can choose when they would like to start and the duration of their volunteer program. A typical program ranges from 4 to 6 weeks. Check with World Endeavors for alternate dates or durations.We encourage volunteers to apply as far in advance as possible. Generally it is best to submit your application at least 12 weeks prior to your intended start date, but exceptions can be made if the volunteer is willing to work with World Endeavors to expedite the enrollment process. To submit an application, download the application found on this page.
World Endeavors 's other programs in Nepal
- Nepal: Internship Program in Nepal with World Endeavors
- Various Locations : Conservation and Environmental Education in Nepal
- Various Locations : Latrine Building Program in Nepal
- Kankali: Kankali Village Community Development Project in Nepal
- Various Locations : Orphanage Assistance Program in Nepal
- All Over Nepal: Internships in Nepal with World Endeavors
- Various Locations : Teach English to Children Program in Nepal
- Various Locations : Volunteer in Healthcare Education, Medical Services and Resources in Nepal
- Various Locations : School Renovation Projects in Nepal
REQUEST MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THIS PROJECT/PROGRAM