- Duration of Program
- 2 to 8 Weeks
- Dates of Program
- Flexible Dates
- Both (group and independent)
- Age Restrictions
- 18 Years+
- Project Review
Children in Zanzibar are eager to learn English but there are not enough English teachers to go around. The government is hoping to improve the level of English spoken by the population in order to enable people to work in tourism and/or other professions where English is required. As there are so few teachers your help will be invaluable!Work in one of a number of schools in Stone Town where class sizes are approximately 25 children to a class, with children from the age of 3 to 12 years of age. One thing is for sure the smiles on these childrens faces will be the biggest you have seen and they will all be eager to learn from you! The schools are also open to lots of new ideas so this may be a great opportunity for you to get your thinking caps on and help them develop. It is also a great way to learn more about the African culture and for you to pass on all your stories from back home, trust me, there will be plenty of listening ears!
- Major Responsibilities
You will be working in one of a number of schools in Stone Town where class sizes are approximately 25 children to a class, with children from the age of 3 to 12 years of age. One thing is for sure the smiles on these childrens faces will be the biggest you have seen and they will all be eager to learn from you! The schools are also open to lots of new ideas so this may be a great opportunity for you to get your thinking caps on and help them develop. It is also a great way to learn more about the African culture and for you to pass on all your stories from back home, trust me, there will be plenty of listening ears!
- Cost/Program Fee
- Contact the Organization
- What program fee Includes
- Accommodation:Shared room in basic hostel
- Food:Breakfast is included, budget US$20 a day for lunch and dinner
- Airport Pickup:Included on arrival date. Ask us for details if you're arriving early!
- Training:In-country orientation and Online TEFL course
- Support:Pre-departure helpdesk, Local in-country team and 24hr emergency support
- Local Transport (on Zanzibar), return airport transfer (including transfer to ferry port, ferry and transfer from ferry to airport
- Meals not mentioned in itinerary
What's Not Included:
- Skills/ Qualifications
No specific skills or qualification are required, except the volunteer needs to be friendly, open, flexible and should have good communication skills.
- Arrangements for Room/Food
Accommodation: The accommodation you stay in will depend on which project you’re placed at. You will be staying in accommodation on site or in a separate room within the children`s home itself. All of the accommodations are twin share, so you will sharing your bedroom with another volunteer of the same gender as yourself.
- Application Process
Application process: Once you have had a look at our brochure or website we suggest you call one of our expert travel advisors to get expert advice on projects and availability and discuss your travel plans. A deposit of £150 is required to secure your place on the project. You can either pay the final balance on application, or the total is due 12 weeks before your arrival date. If your project requires a CV, you must send this to us immediately - an expert travel advisor can explain the process in detail. You will then be sent a volunteer pack and shortly afterwards you will be contact by a member of the operations team to ensure your project suits you and that you understand what your experience will entail. You will gain access to a personal online i-to-i account and you will be given step-by-step advice as to how to fundraise, obtain visas and inoculations, extend your insurance, book your flights and even what to pack for the trip.
- Any Missing Important Information
Note: We will give you directions for obtaining your visa, but you will need to apply and pay for it yourself. We will provide the embassy contact details, visa application form and invitation letter from the country itself (if required). Our In-country Coordinator will also help arrange an extension to your visa whilst volunteering with i-to-i, if required. If you don’t have time to organise it yourself our partner Travcour.com can arrange a visa on your behalf. Visit www.travcour.com to find out more (and don’t forget to let them know that we sent you).
I to I Volunteering 's other programs in Tanzania
- Zanzibar: Work as an English Teacher to Improve the English of Tanzanian people
- Stone Town: Work with Disadvantaged Children on Zanzibar, Tanzania
- Stone Town: Teach English in Stone Town, Zanzibar
- Arusha: Teaching Children Program in Arusha, Tanzania
- Moshi: Teaching Opportunities in Community Education at Secondary Schools in Moshi
- Arusha: Raising Awareness of HIV and Teaching English to the People of Tanzania
- Moshi: Community Work with Young Children in Moshi, Tanzania
- Various Locations : Tribal Experience with the Masai in Tanzania
- Various locations with volunteering in Moshi: The Best of Tanzania-including 6 day Mt. Kili Climb!
- Various Location: Community Education at Primary Schools in Moshi, Tanzania
- Zanzibar: Teaching English on the Sun-drenched Spice Island of Zanzibar
- Mzuri Kaja : Teach on the Sun-Drenched Spice Island of Zanzibar
- Zanzibar: Help People of Zanzibar to Work in Tourism by Improving their English
- Various Locations: Community Education at Secondary Schools in Moshi, Tanzania
- Travel throughout Tanzania: Join the Ultimate Tanzania Tour Including Volunteer Work in Moshi
REQUEST MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THIS PROJECT/PROGRAM