HighlightsThere is no end of activities and sights to visit in your spare time. Visit the north coast for some of the best windsurfing or kite boarding found in the world, go whale watching, try fun hiking, biking or even white water rafting for those adrenaline seekers! You may also like to visit the Caribbean's highest peak or the Playa Rincon, said to be one of the best beaches in the world. Hunt round the quaint town of Monte Cristo for some great finds including bargain priced jewellery made from handcrafted beads, and try some with some of the local rum in one of the colourful bars!
In the Dominican Republic there are plenty of animals in need of care and a home. Many dogs are homeless and sick, and you often find neglected and malnourished horses and cats. It is rare that anyone cares about these animals or gives them the affection and nurturing that they need.
For many years, a farm close to the city of Samaná has been helping animals in need by providing a home, food and arranging medical treatments. Dogs, horses, mules, cows and many other animals live on the ranch in the middle of the beautiful nature that surrounds Samaná. There is always a lot to do and support is much needed to be able to continue providing care to the animals and finding new homes, especially for the almost 50 dogs living on the farm. You can become a part of this project by taking care of the animals, training them and maintaining the property. By raising awareness and educating children about how animals can increase our well-being if we take care of them, you can also contribute to improving the situation in the long run. The Dog Veterinary Services in Las Terrenas provides home and emergency veterinary services is a perfect placement for volunteers and interns! Volunteer positions are for people without veterinary background who are a dog lover and would like to be part of a great project that takes care of the well-being of man’s best friend then this project is the right thing for you. If you are a veterinarian or veterinary student you will love this program. The team also always needs experienced vets or vet students that can assist during surgeries, neutering campaigns or similar.
What to expect
It is of advantage if the volunteer or intern has already worked in animal shelter or an veterinarian clinic, is a veterinary student or a dog walker, etc. But even with little experience you will be of great help! It is important to keep in mind that the farm includes some physical work like cleaning kennels and stables and being outside. Nevertheless, the animals’ love and affection that you will be met with are worth all of the effort!
Activities can include but are not limited to
- Caring for dogs, horses and mules and training them
- Maintaining the meadow, stables and kennels
- Maintaining the farm by helping with painting, building fences, planting king grass, fixing doors, among other tasks
- Developing and executing awareness rising and education activities for children or the general population in order to improve the situation of neglected animals in the long run
- Caring for dogs, taking them for a walk, maintaining the kennels
- Supporting veterinarians during medical treatments or operationsto neuter or spay animals (only for veterinarians or veterinary students)
- Support for the admission of new patients and other administrative procedures
- Participation in the annual castration campaign
Financial Contribution & Benefits
Aldeas de Paz works hard to keep the required financial contribution to an absolute minimum and to offer financial transparency by practicing an open book policy. The calculation of your financial contribution or donation is set up so that the longer you stay, the less you give per week. We do this to encourage longer stays, recognizing that longer stays lead to more significant volunteer work and more energy contributed in the form of donated time in place of money! The minimum contribution starts at €140 per week and includes Spanish language classes, double room at one of our fully equipped guesthouse apartments, a special program donation as well as a personal welcome service and pick-up at the airport, transfer to the bus, bus fare and free transfer to your placement location in Las Terrenas or Samana. If you wish a single room upgrade add €50 per week and an all in Host Family homestay upgrade is €150 per week, including a private bedroom and two meals per day. For more information about costs and benefits check out our webpage
What is included
- Welcome Service at the airport and transport to your placement location
- Volunteer or Internship placement
- Accommodation of your choice
- Placement introduction, training, supervision, briefings and meetings
- Free regular Spanish lessons throughout your placement
- Free Wifi and use of washing machine at all our facilities
- Certificate, written reference and student credit
- Information about adventure packages
- Full support and 24/7 backup from local staff
Spanish language classes: Volunteers and interns receive free language lessons every week. The classes focus on developing communication skills so that students are able to put their knowledge to practical use as soon as they step outside the classroom. Our teaching method enables students to develop four basic skills: listening comprehension, speaking, reading and writing. The idea is to learn Spanish in a natural and spontaneous way, just as students have learned their mother tongue. Our students are encouraged to speak Spanish right from the very first day, using it in typical real-life situations: the basic syllabus is supplemented by special exercises, such as role-play, situational dialogues and work projects. Outside the classroom, the learning process continues as you are immersed in the Spanish language and the Dominican culture.
Time Commitment: A minimum time commitment of 2 weeks is required.