HighlightsThere is no end of activities and sights to visit in your spare time. Visit the north coast for some of the best windsurfing or kite boarding found in the world, go whale watching, try fun hiking, biking or even white water rafting for those adrenaline seekers! You may also like to visit the Caribbean's highest peak or the Playa Rincon, said to be one of the best beaches in the world. Hunt round the quaint town of Monte Cristo for some great finds including bargain priced jewellery made from handcrafted beads, and try some with some of the local rum in one of the colourful bars!
The purpose of this Social Multimedia project is to promote the foundation ́s mission and document our work. The purpose of this multimedia project is to promote the foundation’s mission, which is primarily to raise awareness of the rights of all children in Samaná. Our causes are promoted mainly through Multi-Media content published on social media channels and local media in cooperation with our social media manager. This program aims to address parenting issues and child welfare through educational videos and social media publication as well as youth, family and community development, gender equality and women empowerment, sexual education, domestic violence prevention and at risk youth work and education. We hope you will help us produce short videos, documentaries and radio/television broadcasting content. In the past our volunteers have produced animated motion pictures, recorded videos, worked on photography, conducted interviews, and updated our social media platforms.
What to expect
Even though project topics are provided, volunteers are encouraged to come up with their own ideas and initiative. Part of the work consists of keeping track of the foundation’s work with the children and documenting our program activities (e.g., taking and editing pictures and videos). You are invited to present your production ideas and with the help of the volunteer team realize your project. This is a excellent opportunity to practice all your skills and learn new ones!
Activities can include but are not limited to
- Take photographs and/or video documentation and report, interview, write and edit content related to our programs
- Edit for our online social media channels, the webpage, blog and through local media
- Support the day-to-day running of the NGO and attend meetings with authorities and community members
- Use Multimedia content to connect people emotionally to pressing social, gender and environmental causes
- Assist with computer literacy classes and online work skill training for local young adults
- Raise awareness for human and animal rights through artistic, creative and educational Multi-Media content
- Assist with Social Community manager´s role to put together a content schedule for Social Media pages and help with editing and publishing content
- Write blog posts, articles, newsletters and other communication materials which can include a mix of media such as written content, videos, images and podcasts
- Assist with expanding our online presence improving functionality and SEO for our webpage and social media communication
- Help create, manage and grow the charity´s presence through blogs, Twitter, Facebook and other strategically relevant online properties
- Coordinate with local service operators, radio and TV stations for public awareness interventions related to various topics around children rights, education and health (advanced Spanish skills are required)
Financial Contribution & Benefits
Aldeas de Paz works hard to keep the required financial contribution to an absolute minimum and to offer financial transparency by practicing an open book policy. The calculation of your financial contribution or donation is set up so that the longer you stay, the less you give per week. We do this to encourage longer stays, recognizing that longer stays lead to more significant volunteer work and more energy contributed in the form of donated time in place of money! The minimum contribution starts at €140 per week and includes Spanish language classes, double room at one of our fully equipped guesthouse apartments, a special program donation as well as a personal welcome service and pick-up at the airport, transfer to the bus, bus fare and free transfer to your placement location in Las Terrenas or Samana. If you wish a single room upgrade add €50 per week and an all in Host Family homestay upgrade is €150 per week, including a private bedroom and two meals per day. For more information about costs and benefits check out our webpage
What is included
- Welcome Service at the airport and transport to your placement location
- Volunteer or Internship placement
- Accommodation of your choice
- Placement introduction, training, supervision, briefings and meetings
- Free regular Spanish lessons throughout your placement
- Free Wifi and use of washing machine at all our facilities
- Certificate, written reference and student credit
- Information about adventure packages
- Full support and 24/7 backup from local staff
Spanish language classes: Volunteers and interns receive free language lessons every week. The classes focus on developing communication skills so that students are able to put their knowledge to practical use as soon as they step outside the classroom. Our teaching method enables students to develop four basic skills: listening comprehension, speaking, reading and writing. The idea is to learn Spanish in a natural and spontaneous way, just as students have learned their mother tongue. Our students are encouraged to speak Spanish right from the very first day, using it in typical real-life situations: the basic syllabus is supplemented by special exercises, such as role-play, situational dialogues and work projects. Outside the classroom, the learning process continues as you are immersed in the Spanish language and the Dominican culture.
This program is suitable for students with free holiday time, pre-university students, students taking or planning to take any Multimedia related studies, Marketing or Journalism as well as professionals in the field. Some previous experience with Social Multimedia, basic understanding of DSLR cameras and familiarity with editing software (including Photoshop, Adobe Premier Pro, Final Cut Pro) as well as social media management and/or social media marketing experience are welcome. However, volunteers with advanced experience are strongly encouraged to apply. We require volunteers to bring their own laptop and Pen Drive and encourage them to bring their own camera to supplement our own Multimedia equipment.
You can join this program as a volunteer or as an intern
Most of our participants join as volunteers and are free to commit from between 5 to 40 hours per week. Thats up to you! As an intern however you probably have to fulfill requirements set by your school or university. Just mark the tab on the application form. Please inform us of your school or university internship requirements in advance so that we can work out your personalized work plan together. Also tell us about your personal expectations and goals and we will see how we can help you achieve them.
Time Commitment: A minimum of 2 weeks commitment is required