- Experience the joy of knowing someone else's life has been improved because YOU were there.
- Partner with others who understand that a better world begins with changing a single life.
- Your safety is always our priority, every volunteer location has been thoroughly vetted.
- Contribute in the most meaningful way possible by volunteering in one of our life-changing projects.
- One of the most affordable volunteer-abroad programs available worldwide.
Do you want to be part of a team trying to save endangered species in one of the most pristine locations in the world? Are you motive in live in a rustic but beautiful landscape and work with scientists to track turtles and save their environment? Costa Rica beaches are the nesting grounds for four different species of endangered sea turtles. Sadly, the sea turtle populations are declining and they now are almost extinct. This is due to the rapid destruction of nesting beaches for settlements and tourism. The turtles are also hunted for their their meat and eggs. The sea-turtles need to be protected urgently if we are to save them from extinction.
In this program, you will work alongside scientists and reformed former poachers to guard nests, gather data for scientific research, and ensure baby hatchlings make their way out to sea. You will be monitoring the turtles in the water, tag them, rescue the sick and injured turtles and help them recover. You will also be a part of beach cleaning, and habitat restoration efforts through mangrove and sea-grass monitoring activities. By joining this program, you will get an amazing hands-on experience with turtle conservation work and a chance to learn from the experts. The data you gather will help in devising sustainable and effective conservation methods to save the turtles. Your efforts will also have a positive impact in the lives of sea-turtles as well as other marine animals, and help them live a full and complete life as well as protect their natural habitats.
Volunteers below the age of 18 years will need to submit parental consent or must be accompanied by an adult guardian.