- Get experience working in a welfare program.
- Make friends and meet people during the weekends traveling
- Explore nice and beautiful places. Enjoy traveling, especially to very different places!
- Share your love and care to needy children
The orphanage/childcare program is a volunteer program set up to render support to orphaned, poor, and marginalized children of Uganda who have not acquired parental support and have faced several challenges in life. This program is an initiative under Saint Ann Foundation that undertakes all operations.
Takes you to support and show love as you care for orphans in a local orphanage and Children`s Centre in Kasangati founded to rescue and restore hope to the vulnerable children in the most war, epidemic, poverty, HIV/AIDS affected areas.
The Centre currently shelters 100 vulnerable children between the ages of 3-15years. Among whom, have HIV/AIDS, are abandoned, receiving the best care under a well-trained mother. We also have over 300 other children whom we look after under our external program which extends support to very poor single families and foster care. Where a Grand parents and windows have failed to completely take care of her big family. This initiative is carried out in the most rural poverty-affected areas in Uganda. Vast Explorers together with Saint Ann Foundation also provides necessities for the children which include; nutritious food, clean water, clothing, medication/treatment, and quality education.
We not only provide necessities to our children but also teach and train societal values. Which will enable them to grow up to be responsible citizens thus empowering the next generation. We also provide them with a safe play environment where they can have fun, learn and develop other skills and talents within them.
Many of the children under our care have happened to encounter such a horrible past. That they fail to trust anybody at instant/on their first encounter. Though this has been greatly battled by our trained team on the ground specialized in children’s trauma healing education.
There are instances of children that were constantly abused sexually by their relatives. Who at most times happen to be the girl’s father, uncle, cousin brother. This prompts the child to report or run away or sometimes discovered by the medical personnel after having been severely injured sexually. It is at such instances where Saint Ann Foundation and Vast Explorers working alongside Uganda police intervenes to help relocate this child to help secure their future.
Other cases are of children that leave for the streets as a result of; child labor, and severe/corporal punishments at home. Hunger/poverty leaves them with no option but to live all their life on the streets begging at such tender age. It has been noted that such misfortunes have negatively impacted many of these children. That, in turn, they become robbers, gangsters, prostitutes in case of girls, marijuana smokers, alcoholics, etc.
Volunteering in Uganda provides an opportunity for a volunteer to participate in rescuing and restoring hope to such children. Volunteers have an opportunity to interact, educate, play, take care of, follow up, and counsel among many other activities.
Volunteers will have a chance to teach children in various studies, including Maths, English language, and Science which studies are part of the government curriculum. This is to take place at our school or other schools recommended by Volunteering in Uganda.
Volunteers can facilitate meal preparations for the children, giving it a more touch and as well being creative with the meals. This, in turn, will allow them to draw closer to these children thus paving the way to reaching out to them in one way or the other.
These activities may include assisting children in washing their clothes and helping them do their homework. Helping them clean themselves, assisting and following up on them taking drugs, extending love and attention to them. And by doing this they would feel loved.
Childcare Volunteer Program Objectives:
• Provide basic health care, hygiene advice, and all the essentials they need to stay healthy.
• Provide a safe play area, where the children can have fun and learn. And develop the skills of social interaction. The children get a chance to play on the swings and we sometimes take them to local parks. Where they get a chance to swim, play some more, and meet other children.
• To teach and train children an ethos of morality and to instill in them a sense of community. And respect for their fellow human beings.
• To provide quality education alongside all necessities like stationery, and uniforms. To enable every child to reach their academic potential opening up bigger opportunities/avenues for their future.
• We work closely with the public; regularly attend local meetings with social agents and other societal leaders/government workers. For the betterment of advancing foundation activities to create an atmosphere for properly raising our children.
• Find more sponsors and donors that are in a position to fund the project more that we may achieve the goal of accommodating many vulnerable children under this program.
• To provide better medical attention/care to our children in terms of working alongside the specialist doctors that engage us in monthly health checkups for the children, and provide drugs, and medicines to keep our children healthy at all times.
• Co-ordinate and carry out joint efforts with other government and non-government organizations/well-wishers to raise awareness about children’s rights and expose how deadly the effects of child neglect, and abuse can be to a society.
NB: We also provide programs for groups, Universities, Schools, Corporates, Youth Groups, and Spiritual Organizations can create their own customized group volunteer programs on special rates.
Volunteer Roles & Responsibilities
Joining a volunteer project for childcare in Uganda brings along a high level of responsibility and dedication. Volunteer, typically, will be required to execute the following tasks;
• Take care of these kids
• Help out in lessons
• Create loving and fun atmosphere.
• Help children in painting, doing and arranging activities, doing art & craft, teaching Basic English/ Maths/ French etc.
• Spend time with these children and play with them to help them and make them feel wanted.
• Engage the children in whatever activity or skill you possess, such as dancing, singing, painting.
• Work with children with special needs and spend time with them, playing, organizing, teaching and doing art & craft activities, singing and dancing.