- Witness awe-inspiring Himalayas
- Experienced and qualified trek guide
- Quality food and accommodation
Mardi Himal Base camp is the name of the long rising ridge and its summit (5,588m) that forms the southwest slope of Mount Machhapuchhre (Fishtail), immediately below its sheer south face. Machhapuchhre (6,993m), which towers majestically over the Lake city Pokhara, is best known as Fishtail Mountain because of its twin peaks that mirror the image of a fishtail. It is fabulously beautiful and is considered sacred, permission to climb it has, so far, always been denied.
Mardi trek climbs through Rhododendron forests, Orchid, and above the tree lines to follow the ridge that takes us up to ‘High camp 3,620m where time is spent acclimatizing while being captivated by the views. Annapurna South seems near enough "eyes to eyes” at Machhapuchhre close enough to touch. Finally, we enter the wilderness territory as we go beyond 4,500 meters where the great ice fields and blue glaciers of Annapurna Base Camp lie below.
Around us, in an arc from east to west, are a dozen or more glossy snow capped giants, with Annapurna I being the highest of them all – the views are almost impossible to equal. Conquering this wilderness region and the incredible proximity of 5 of the highest mountains in the world leaves one feeling like they have to explore ever.
Mardi Himal trek is a best alternative trek in Annapurna after the popular Annapurna base camp trek.
- Day 1 - Kathmandu to Pokhara by tourist bus and transfer to hotel.
Morning at 6:30 am pick up and go to the Tourist bus station. It is 7 hours drive through Prithvi high way. Arrival in Pokhara and transfer to Hotel. Rest of the time is free.
- Day 2 - Drive to Dhampus phedi and trek to Pothana (2,232 m)-4hrs.
Mardi Himal trekking begins after a short drive to Phedi. The first part of the trek until Dhampus is uphill through the forest but you can experience the beautiful landscape including Pokhara valley and local settlement. In Dhampus we stop for the conservation check-in and continue to Pothana through the Rhododendron forest.
- Day 3 - TREK TO FOREST CAMP (2,600 m / 5 hrs)
After spending beautiful morning in the ridge top village of Pothana, we head off the main Annapurna trekking trail and follow the forested ridge to Forest camp. Since this is new trekking destination, there are small tea houses along the way but we need to carry sufficient water. The day’s walk in the rhododendron forest is beautiful with gradual uphill.
- Day 4 - TREK TO BADAL DANDA (4 Hrs / 2,950 m)
The trail gradually climbs through the rhododendron forest following the ridge. Low camp has got couple of tea houses in the clearing of the forest. The view of Mt Fishtail and Mardi Himal appears much closer. You find yourself closer to clear blue sky with view of layers of Himalayan foothills and sweeping valley towards south. Note: You can trek 1 more hr to Badal Danda (Cloud Hill) above the tree line in consent of guide for better view. There is only one lodge in Badal Danda.
- Day 5 - SHORT WALK TO HIGH CAMP (3 HRS / 3,550 m)
The trail further climbs along the ridge towards Mardi Himal and Mt Fishtail. From Badal Danda, we leave the tree line and arrive in shrubby alpine zone. Snowcapped peaks of Annapurna South, Huinchuli and Fishtail looms in a distance above deep valley on the either side. High camp is a small pasture after the climb with 3 lodges. Here you find yourself above the clouds and closer to snowcapped peaks.
- Day 6 - Explore Mardi View point and trek back to Low Camp (7 Hrs / 4,500 m)
The day trip is more difficult than other days with steep climb and longer walk. Trail becomes more vertiginous at some points with uneven and steep rocky steps. The first steep climb will take about 2 hrs to the ridge top which is marked as MBC (Mardi Himal Base Camp). However the real base camp will take about another 2 hrs along the ridge. The view is amazing all along the ridge. While Mardi Himal and Mt Fishtail appear right above us, view of Annapurna I, Gangapurna and Annapurna III also appears at a distance.
- Day 7 - Trek to Lumbre (4hrs) and drive back to Pokhara Alt. 810m. Trek 2 hours
There is an optional excursion to a tea planation to see how tea is produced; it takes around 45 minutes uphill to reach. The trail to the end of our trek takes us to pass the village tea factory, which we can visit and purchase the freshly grown tea we have enjoyed since arriving in the village. We exit the village down the stone staircase that leads on to established paths that take us to Anante Thati. From here we drive back to Pokhara.
- Day 8 - Pokhara to Kathmandu by Tourist bus.
A bus drive to Kathmandu is a scenic drive through the Prithivi high way. You will pass the small village and town towards Kathmandu. Arrivals Kathmandu and transfer to hotel. Evening farewell dinner will be served at a typical Nepali restaurant. Optional you may stay in Pokhara on your own.
- All meals while on the Trekking (Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner)
- 2-night hotel in Pokhara including breakfast
- 5-night twin share Teahouse accommodation during the trek
- Farewell dinner in Kathmandu
- All ground transportation on a comfortable private and public vehicle as per the itinerary
- An experienced, English-speaking and government-licensed trek leader.
- Staff costs including their salary, insurance, equipment, food, and accommodation
- All necessary paperwork and trekking permits (ACAP, TIMS)
- All government and local taxes
Mardi Himal trek can be customized as per clients requirement.