- The thrill of Mountain Gorillas trekking in the challenging forest terrain and the humbling experience of coming face to face with them as they feed, play, rest and bond with their young
- Learning about the great work of the American primatologist who pioneered the initiatives to protect and conserve Mountain Gorillas in the volcanic mountains.
- Listening to heartrending accounts of the astonishing genocide that occurred in Rwanda in the late 1990s.
- Viewing the mesmerizing and awesome features of the volcanic landscapes
This 4 day Gorilla Trekking Rwanda & Wildlife Safari takes you to the Gorilla haven in Rwanda’s Volcanoes National Park jungle to trek Mountain Gorillas. Then to Akagera National Park for game drives and boat cruise; and to the prominent memorial sites of the tragic genocide that occurred in Rwanda.
- Day 1 - Transfer to Akagera National Park, Boat cruise and Evening game drive
We start the Gorilla Trekking Rwanda & Wildlife Safari by travelling to Akagera National Park in the eastern part of Rwanda. The drive is approximately 2½ hours and on arrival you will go for a boat cruise on Lake Ihema to see aquatic animals such as Hippos, Crocodiles as well as water birds like the papyrus Gonolek, shoebill stork and African fish eagle.
In the afternoon you will go for a game drive in the park after which you will retire to the lodge dinner and overnight. Ruzizi tented camp
- Day 2 - Full day game drives in Akagera National Park & transfer to Kigali
After an early breakfast, you will embark on a morning game drive. In a circuit you will visit different lakes where you will see buffaloes and elephants drinking from the water ponds and see various species of birds like Egyptian goose and fish eager.
You will have a Gorilla Trekking Rwanda & Wildlife Safari picnic lunch in the park then continue with the hills game drive where you will see; impalas, zebras, bush bucks, water bucks, topis, oribis, baboons, giraffes, cape elands among others. In the late afternoon you will set off for Kigali. Dinner and overnight. Mile Collines
- Day 3 - City tour of Kigali & transfer to Volcanoes National Park
You will have breakfast and move out to visit the memorial sites scattered in various parts of the city. These will include the Genocide memorial sites where thousands of innocent people lost their lives during the genocide of the mid 1990s, visit the Presidential Palace Museum, and the Nyamata church.
In these places you will listen to the horrendous narratives of how people were cruelly put to death and learn about the history of the country from the colonial periods through to the present time. You will have lunch and transfer to Ruhengeri town just outside the Volcanoes National Park. Dinner and overnight : Mountain Gorilla View Lodge
- Day 4 - Gorilla trekking & transfer to Kigali
Have an early breakfast and join other Gorilla Trekking Rwanda & Wildlife Safari tourists at the Kinigi Park headquarters at 08:00am for a briefing on the Gorilla tracking rules. You will be allocated a Gorilla family to track and guides to lead you to the Gorillas. The gorilla trekking is a strenuous exercise through thick jungle on steep terrain that is uneven, wet and often muddy for as many as 2-5 hours, depending on the location of the Gorillas. Once sighted, you will spend a maximum of one hour with the Gorillas.
Return to the lodge for lunch and later transfer to Kigali for your flight.
- Gorilla trekking permit paid for in advance
- Accommodation as per the itinerary
- 4WD safari vehicle
- Bottled drinking water
- Services of an English speaking driver/guide.
- Arrival and Return airport transfers.
- All park fees
- A Visa for Rwanda which you can get at the airport
- Travel & Health insurance arranged by guest
- Tips to local guides
- Porter fees while trekking Gorillas
- Travel Insurance
Gorilla permits are booked in advance and are not refundable and not rescheduled.
NB: Please note that these tours run whole year around but because on the platform you have to choose dates and month for the tour that's why they appear like fixed departure tours.