Historical Stone Town Tour
- • Sultan’s Palace Museum - Built in the late 1890’s for members of the Sultan’s family.
- • House of Wonders - Built in 1883 as a Royal Ceremonial Function Palace.
- • The Africa House - Formerly the English Club.
- • Forodhani Park - Where you can spend your evenings leisurely watching the brilliant sunset while sipping freshly squeezed sugarcane juice or enjoy charcoal barbeques and locally made dishes.
- • The Old Fort - Built by Arabs for defense against the Portuguese.
This is a wonderful introduction to Zanzibar and gives you a feeling of the rich cultural heritage. One gets a comprehensive view, history and walk of the Stone Town, magnificent architecture, narrow alleys, sand and stone ancient built houses where some of them are over 200 years old and have Arab/Indian carved doors.
The tour starts at the main City market which was opened in 1904, where tropical fruits, vegetables, spices and fresh fish from the island are sold.
Our next stop is the Anglican Church of Christ which was built by Bishop Steers in 1873 on the site where slaves used to be auctioned.
We pick you up and drop off from your hotel in stone town or beach hotels and this tour starts from Zanzibar old stone town
- Day 1 - Pick up from your hotel for stone town tour
At 9 am or 2pam , Our first stop will be the fruit market, which opened in 1904, with its variety of tropical fruits and spices. This will be followed by visiting the Anglican Cathedral at Mkunazini, which was built in 1874 on the site of the former slave market. The guide will tell you about the cities slave history and show you the place where slaves were auctioned. Our next stop will be the National Museum of Zanzibar, which is also referred to as the Peace Memorial Museum. The museum holds a wide collection of the island's natural history and artifacts. Then we will walk to the Forondhani Gardens, where you will see the former British Consulate, a place where explorers such as Dr. Livingston and Stanley came for administrative matters before explorations.
We will also explore the Old Fort, which is situated few meters away, and the tallest building in Zanzibar, House of Wonders, which was built by the Sultan as a ceremonial and administrative building. With a refreshing walk in the narrow streets we will explore the old houses, most of which are older than 150 years. We will complement our trip with a visitation of Dr. Livingston House. An entry fee is required for the museum. The last stop of our excursion will be Marahubi where we will see the Ruins of Sultan Barghash's Palace.
- Friendly and Experienced Professional Tour guide VAT (18% charged by the Government) Mineral Water During the Tour Entrances Fees
- Pick up and drop off from your hotel in private car with air condition
- Waiting Charge, Fuel Surcharges & Service Fees
- VAT (18% charged by the Government) Mineral Water During the Tour Entrances Fees
- Medical Insurance
- Gratuities for Tour Guide or Driver
- International & Domestic Flights
- Personal Expenses
- Pickup and drop off from beach hotels, please contact us for additional cost
Wear decent (conservative/appropriate) clothes when walking around town
Bring your Sun lotion/cream, Sun hat and sun glasses
Comfortable closed walking or hiking shoes